Sunday, January 28, 2007

Jobs, Oscars, and Pan

I cannot find a job, I had two actual interviews last week, so maybe something soon. I was told by both places that I would get a call mid this week either way.

I looked at the Oscar nominations, I am loving Little Miss Sunshine's strong showing. While I think Alan Arkin was great in it I really think they looked over Steve Carell and Greg Kinear who were also amazing. I am also excited to see Pan's Labyrinth with 6 nominations, and I feel like it should get all six. It was amazing. I am pissed at the Academy for nominating Abigail Breslin, Olive, from Little Miss Sunshine, but Ivana Baquero, Ofelia, in Pan's Labyrinth. I am not taking anything away from Abigail, I just feel like the Academy has quotas on nominations they will make. An example would be last years, or maybe it was two years ago, Cinderella Man, which was overlooked, in my opinion, because the previous year Million Dollar Baby swept the oscars and they couldn't possible have two boxing movies in a row win oscars. Anyway back to Ivana, she demonstrated the kind of acting skills that Hilary Swank only has when she is getting her ass beat to deat (see Million dollar Baby and Boys Don't Cry) while she is only a child Ivana convey emotion and believability(sp?) that most in her field can't. Stupid Academy.

So obviously I saw Pan's Labyrinth. I am definately going to see it again. I am incredibly impressed with Del Toro, I liked Hellboy, I haven't seen anything else by him, but this was heads and tails above it.

Finished how the Scot's Invented the Modern World, and next on my reading list is David Hume's A Treatise on Human Nature. Should be interesting as Hume was the focal point of a few chapters in The Scots book.

4 comments:

fermicat said...

The interviews are encouraging. It means you're putting yourself out there. Good luck and I hope something works out that you'll love.

I haven't seen many of the Oscar nominated movies. Pan's Labrynth is on my list of "want to see" movies. I just saw Children of Men this weekend, so I am a bit behind.

BC said...

Wishing you the best of luck in getting a job. I know how frustrating it can be.

I havent seen any of the movies listed. Sad huh?

wa11z said...

Good luck finding a job. It sucks looking for one.

As for Del Toro, he is a genius in my opinion. Every film he does has the distinctive stamp of his personal style. And he knows how to tell a story.

Taylor said...

Fortunately for me I am, to this point in my life, batting 100% as far as interviews to job offers go so I am optimistic. Children of men is on my list of want to see movies.

thanks for the good wishes...I really want to work at this point I will take anything.

yeah he(del Toro) does, I was talking to someone about how I wasn't sure about my overall feelings for the Hellboy movie, but He managed to create this gothic feel to the entire movie that was absolutely amazing.